Rural Housing Enablers
There have been substantial increases in houses prices within the National Park over recent years. Increasing numbers of local people are experiencing difficulty in buying or renting homes within the locality. There are serious concerns in many communities about the long term effects on the local economy and culture of the area.
The communities of Snowdonia are fortunate in having Rural Housing Enablers working to try and address shortages of affordable housing. The National Park Authority contributes to the costs of the posts, and is represented on the multi-agency Steering Groups which co-ordinate and drive forward the work.
Beddgelert (© SNPA)
The role of the Rural Housing Enabler is to:
- raise awareness about the lack of affordable housing for local people within rural areas
- gather information to recognize the need for affordable housing within the rural communities
- give power to local communities so that they can investigate innovative options
- assist communities to form appropriate partnerships
- offer support to residents in relation to sustainable communities
- improve the relationship between voluntary and statutory agencies and communities
- work with communities so they can register the needs of local people
For more information please contact:
Sara Ashton-Thomas / Victoria Kelly / Dylan Owen on 01286 889292
Or for general information regarding the work of the Enabler visit the website at http://www.grwpcynefin.org/en/eich-cymuned/rural-housing-enablers/